If you plan on using the Immigrant Investor Program, also known as EB-5, to get a green card and obtain citizenship in the United States, there are resources available to help you transition once you become a permanent resident.

When you become a permanent resident through the EB-5 program, you will be held to the same laws as any other U.S. citizen, including paying taxes and receiving other benefits. Keeping the lines of communication open with your EB-5 advisors is essential for them to steer you in the right direction.

It’s also empowering to do your own research. Below are five places you can go to find information for integrating into the community:

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services
The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, or USCIS, is an excellent resource that is available online, and has a field locator if you would rather visit a local office in person. The USCIS homepage also contains informational links in different languages, a resource guidebook for new immigrants, and information on finding work in America.
At the USCIS website, you may also be able to find links to organizations that offer transitioning services for new immigrants to the U.S. with services toward different communities and languages.

Local Chamber of Commerce
If you know the community you will be moving to, or you are already there, you can contact the local Chamber of Commerce. Most city and towns have a Chamber of Commerce, which is a network of local businesses who advocate for their community at large and may have programs that are beneficial to helping you transition.
You can find out where your local chamber of commerce is by looking in your phone book, or using this Chamber of Commerce search tool. Some bigger cities have more than one Chamber of Commerce with branches geared toward various cultural communities.

Community Resources
Many communities have resources geared toward helping immigrants gain essential skills, such as learning to speak English. The Oxford Seminars has a searchable database of community colleges and schools in every state that teach English as a second language. Some schools that teach English as a second language may have subsidized programs at a minimal or reduced rate.

Also, look in your community for consulting companies, employment centers, institutions, and social clubs for information on how to prepare yourself for work and life in the United States. Talk to your neighbors and let them know what information you are looking for.

Immigration Lawyer
A lawyer well-versed in immigration law may know of additional resources that are not public knowledge. He or she may be able to advise you on your specific immigration experience and businesses that are associated with the mobility industry. You can search for qualified immigration attorneys at the EB-5 investors website.